Over the past decade, there has been a troubling increase in hate crimes targeting religious institutions. The FBI’s Hate Crime Statistics report underscores a concerning trend, emphasizing the urgent need for places of worship to prioritize security measures. In response to these challenges, it’s essential to focus on preparation and safeguarding the people and values that are central to our communities
The following six steps for protecting places of worship are recommended by the United States Department of Justice, reflecting their expert guidance in enhancing security measures.
STEP 1 Understand the Risk
- Review the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) National Terrorism Advisory System Bulletin to understand and monitor national trends and developments.
- Connect with local law enforcement, the local FBI field office, DHS Intelligence Officers within the DHS Fusion Centers, and other places of worship in the area to better understand localized threats.
- Perform a security assessment of the facility to determine potential vulnerabilities. Talk to us about facility security assessments.
STEP 2 Understand Your Space
- Evaluate your facility through a layered security approach that considers the outer, middle, and inner perimeters of the building and grounds.
STEP 3 Develop and Practice a Plan
- Create a security and emergency action plan to document the steps that personnel and volunteers will take to respond if an incident occurs. Practice the plan to build muscle memory.
STEP 4 Inform and Educate Greeters
- Identify suspicious behaviors and possibly prevent a potential attack through de-escalation techniques.
- Recognize signs of terrorism-related suspicious activity and how to Report Suspicious Activity to local law enforcement or a person of authority. Many states also have designated a unique “tip line” to collect reports of terrorism-related suspicious activity.
STEP 5 Pursue Grants
- Apply for grants that can provide new resources for security. TAL Global can help prepare and submit grant requests.
STEP 6 Report Hate Crimes and Other Incidents
- Report hate crimes or any other criminal incidents to local law enforcement and the FBI. TAL Global can help prepare and submit grant requests.
In navigating these turbulent times, the execution of these six steps and by staying alert, informed, and prepared, places of worship can continue to be sanctuaries of peace and safety.
At TAL Global, we understand the nuances of these challenges and are equipped to guide you through every aspect of hate crime prevention – from initial risk assessment to securing grants. With decades of experience and a track record of delivering results, our team of professionals offers custom and tailor-made support for your unique needs.
About – TAL Global is a leading security consulting and risk management firm with a global operation. Our team of experts brings a wealth of experience and insights, providing comprehensive solutions that cater to the diverse needs of our clients around the world. For further guidance or assistance, feel free to TALK TO US Linkedin Youtube