Staying alert and staying safe are two of the most important things each of us can do to enhance our security at home, school, or in the workplace.
Here are ten tips to help you stay alert and stay safe:
1. Be aware of your surroundings; always pay attention to people and things around you.
2. Trust your instincts. If something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.
3. Be security conscious online. Protect your personal information; use strong passwords; be careful about sharing information online.
4. At school or in the office, know that physical security and risk management assessments help identify risks. Take advantage of them.
5. Physical and security assessments invariably also include a plan of action, suggesting what to do should an incident occur.
6. Be aware of the latest security threats. Read our articles, security blogs, and Become a TAL Global Insider.
7. Become aware of typical daily activities at school and at work. Who do you usually see? What do they look like? What are they doing? What kinds of background noises are heard? Again, speak up if something does not look – or hear – right.
8. If you believe you have identified a potential threat, share this information with administrators.
9. Know when to stop. If you feel unsafe – at home, at school, or in the office – stop, look for safety. If necessary, also know when to run and when to fight.
10. Finally, let administrators know if you have security solutions that could help improve security for everyone.
This is what staying alert and staying safe is all about.