Now that many facilities around the country are reopening, building owners and managers are considering having a risk assessment performed.
During the pandemic, a risk assessment often focused on protecting building user health.
But now, with crime increasing in many parts of the U.S., facilities are having risk assessments conducted for their original purpose: to evaluate a facility’s defenses against external and internal security risks and threats.
“A risk assessment is an in-depth security evaluation,” says Jonathan Tal, CEO of TAL Global, which has been conducting assessments for schools, corporate campuses, medical facilities, and sports venues – including the site of the 2022 Super Bowl – for more than 20 years.
“However, risk assessment has many benefits – benefits that are needed more now than in years past.”
According to Tal, among those benefits are the following:
1. Identify and list an organization’s security weaknesses and vulnerabilities.
2. Bring “fresh eyes” into the facility. Often, building users and administrators are unaware of pronounced weaknesses in their facilities.
3. Identify what facility security systems are in place now.
4. Make smart security purchasing decisions based on the assessment. No two facilities are the same. The security systems installed in one facility may not be applicable to another.
5. Validate for facility managers why specific security measures need to be in place.
6. Justify the spending for new security measures. Frequently the financial risks of not having a risk assessment conducted outweigh the costs.
7. Provide security training programs designed for building users, instructing them what to do – and not do – should an emergency or threat occur.
8. Develop a communication and decision-making system to use should a threat occur. During an emergency, every second counts. The assessment instructs building owners and managers what to do and what steps to take should an emergency occur.
“Finally, a properly conducted an assessment can even boost worker productivity,” adds Tal. “When people feel safe in their surroundings, they feel valued and appreciated. This often translates into enhanced worker productivity.”
Be sure and check out some of our case studies.
About TAL Global
TAL Global is twenty-four-year-old, elite security consulting and risk management firm that protects human and physical assets around the globe. The company includes a team of world-class, interdisciplinary security experts that join forces to identify, analyze, and mitigate risks for their clients from every vulnerability – inside and out.
1999 S Bascom Avenue
Campbell, CA 95008