Mr. Lucien G. Canton
Managing Director, Emergency Preparedness
Lucien Canton, Managing Director of Emergency Preparedness at TAL Global, has over 30 years of experience in hazard and risk analysis, loss mitigation and emergency planning. Highly regarded for his successful disaster response and mitigation programs, Lucien joined the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in 1990 where he assisted in the development of disaster response capabilities encompassing strategic planning. He was responsible for the implementation and coordination of field operations. Lucien was later appointed to Director of Emergency Services for the City of San Francisco where he served as a policy advisor to Mayor Willie L. Brown, Jr., on emergency management and homeland security issues.
Lucien’s experience spans:
- 30 years of hazard & risk analysis, loss mitigation and emergency planning
- 7 years Federal level operational experience
- 7 years State & Local level operational experience
- 7 years private sector operational experience
Under Lucien’s direction, San Francisco modernized its emergency operations center and instituted aggressive disaster and terrorist response systems. His efforts transformed the Office of Emergency Services into the “gold” standard for regional emergency planning.
Notable projects include:
- FEMA: Hazard Mitigation Branch – Extensive deployment on typhoon relief operations in the Pacific Trust Territories and the Caribbean
- Homeland Security: evaluation program and HSEEP training
- California natural disasters response – Loma Prieta & Northridge earthquakes, wildfires in Southern California, 1995 winter storms
Lucien’s Career Highlights:
- FEMA: Emergency Management Program Specialist ,and State & Local exercises program coordinator
- Director for Emergency Services City & County of San Francisco
- US Army (Stationed in Germany)
- Certification by IAEM, ASIS, IDRA & EMAP.
A respected author, Lucien has penned a book, Emergency Management: Concepts and Strategies for Successful Programs, and numerous articles on emergency management and security issues.
As a Managing Director at TAL Global, Lucien works with our clients on a range of issues, including:
- Business Continuity Practices (BCP)
- Disaster response & mitigation
- Emergency Preparedness & Response
- Crisis Management & Communication
Read Lucien Canton’s Emergency Management Blog at: www.luciencanton.com